Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

As LUCK would have it, I ran into my friend, Mary, at the grocery store. She was looking for cabbage. So, I asked what she was going to do with an entire head of cabbage. She explained and immediately I just had to try Corned Beef Brisket.
So, you buy a package of this....Corned Beef Brisket.

Add this cut of meat to a large pot of water...water should just cover the beef. Add the seasoning packet that comes in the package of beef to the pot , as well. Low heat--- slow cook 50 minutes for every pound of beef, with lid on pot.
During last 30 minutes of cooking time for the beef, add large cuts of carrots......
....and add cabbage cut up in chunks. Add water to cover vegetables and cover with lid.
Remove beef and let rest 15 minutes. Then, slice and serve with cabbage and carrots.
This was a really fun dish to prepare and to try out with my family. It was festive and new. The cabbage was so good..almost sweet, not bitter in the least. Carrots were good. Brisket was good, but, does have a heavy and deep flavor. I think that is what makes Brisket great. $COST....$4.00 for 2 and 1/3 pounds of Brisket, $1.00 for a head of cabbage, and $1.69 for a large bag of carrots. Very economical, colorful, flavorful, and easily feeds 6-8 people. Happy St. Patricks Day. May the LUCK of the Irish be with us all!

Sydney

P.S. Wouldn't this be good with Irish Soda Bread?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds very good. It reminds me of my dad who likes to cook with brisket. I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails